NEW!

Comments made easier! Feel free to try!




Thursday 7 June 2012

Finally! A Use for Reality TV

Reality TV has been with us for about 50 years.  Early shows include "kids say the darnedest things" and "Funniest Home Videos."  It has spawned into a pathetic slew of crap including  "...Got Talent", "Dog the Bounty Hunter," and "Cake Boss."

Don't even get me started on "One Born Every Minute" (A favourite of The Wife).  And she makes me watch it during dinner.  I don't wanna know about comes out of there.  I'm a man.  I'm about what goes in.

The "drama" that develops between the various game players I'm sure is as contrived as professional wrestling.

And save me, please from real estate shows. Someone, please... don't make me beg.

I don't want to watch this shit, storage wars aside- that Dave Hester is right Bastard, but that's why he makes the bucks, and makes me laugh- I prefer shows with story.  "Game of Thrones" or "Babylon 5" or even an old episode of "Green Acres"- anything but the crap being passed on as TV these days.

Until last night.

I was listening to ABC News Radio last night, and a Dutch entrepreneur has developed an idea for a practical, constructive use for Reality TV.

He has a plan.  A rather creative plan to use reality TV to finance in part.. Are you ready?

Martian Settlement.

He is proceeding with recruitment very soon, and although he has not yet actively canvassed for applicants, he already has over 400.

Using his personal fortune, and building a reality TV show around the colonisation effort, he believes he could have colonists living and working on Mars by 2024.  That is real science fiction on my TV.  It will be Big Brother in Space.  What a concept.  He believes he will be able to sponsor multiple trips with this concept.  Creativity like this needs to be celebrated.  The man is a genius.

Would I watch it?  Hell yeah.  I'd sign up myself, but I'd take up three berths and the cost of sending me into space wouldn't be an efficient use of money.  Or maybe I will go on that diet.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea! Although for a moment I was wondering how he managed to find 400 martians already... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they insist on making viewing sewage, they can at least put the profit making potential to good use. I thought the man's idea to be awesome. I can't wait for "Going to Mars" or whatever he will call it.

      Delete
  2. I'd watch it. Sounds like better tv than what's currently on.

    ReplyDelete